FIG ICE CREAM WITH PISTACHIOS
This delicious sweet is our latest treat! I don't cook up many dessert but when figs are in season and in abundance I can’t help but come up with new ways to eat them. Creating this recipe was so much fun especially because we kept taste testing! I wanted to create a simple and easy dessert that is full of flavour. I believe I have achieved this as each ingredient stands out, from the vanilla beans to the pistachios and most of all the fresh, ripe and sweet figs. It makes a perfectly creamy and flavorsome gluten free ice cream. Oh, and I've only used a small amount of rapadura sugar as the ice cream is naturally sweet from the figs and honey so let's pretend it is virtually guilt free to eat too! Enjoy.
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 cup rapadura sugar (finely processed)
2 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
8 large ripe Figs mashed with a fork
1/4 cup crushed Pistachios
1. In a bowl whisk all ingredients together.
2. Pour into ice cream machine and churn for 15 minutes or until thickens.
3. Transfer to air tight container and freeze for a minimum of 6 hours.
4. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.
5. Serve with slices of fresh figs, crushed Pistachios and drizzled raw honey.