Christmas Ham with Hoisin Sauce, Orange and Ginger Glaze
There are two Christmas Ham recipes that i have cooked for many years and this is one of them. It is simple, hassle free and best of all super flavourful. To make sure it is #glutenfree for my daughter I have used Chang's Asian Food Hoisin Sauce. If you are not in Australia then use your favourite brand Hoisin Sauce as using this ready made sauce is what makes the recipe so simple and full of flavour. Christmas is busy enough so why not cut corners and use a ready made sauce? But to make it extra special I have also added freshly squeezed orange juice, lemon juice, a good drizzle of honey, some mustard and freshly grated ginger. As you can imagine the flavours are fresh, vibrant and sweet which is perfect for any Christmas lunch or dinner. A Very Merry Christmas to you and a Blessed New Year! Enjoy x
Recipe for a 4 kg Christmas Ham
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
4 kg Ham on the Bone
½ cup Chang’s Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce
¼ cup orange juice
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs honey
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1 tsp ground ginger OR grated fresh ginger
1. Preheat oven to 165C fan forced.
2. Place all glaze ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 3 minutes, take off heat and allow to cool while preparing ham.
3. Prepare ham by removing skin (if skin still on), caution not to damage layer of fat underneath. Next score ham using a sharp knife in thin straight lines.
4. Brush the fat with 1/3 of the glaze and then place into preheated oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove from oven and re-glaze with the second third of the glaze. Repeat this in a third time in another 30 minutes and bake for a final half hour (total cooking time 1.5 hours). Remember to turn the baking dish in the oven for even colouring.
5. Once cooked allow to sit for 15 minutes before calving and serving.