Herb Kofta with Bean Salad and Yogurt Dressing
These herb kofta make a really simple, cheap and easy lunch or dinner. Served with a crunchy salad and cool yogurt dip, the kofta flavours marry in so beautifully and deliciously that you won’t be able to stop at one! It will be a crowd pleaser at your next gathering or simply serve it at home for the family. One thing is certain, when you look at how to make everything, you’ll realise how simple it is to prepare and bring it all together!
What I loved most about this meal was how versatile it was to adapt to our individual food preferences. What do mean by that you ask?
Well I served my kofta with the salad on the side and everything was drizzled with yogurt dressing while my children ate their kofta in a wrap (photo above)
My husband on the other hand is a ‘mezes’ eater (mezes are dishes served as appetizers) so he loved the kofta served on a platter with some pita bread and the dip on the side so he could graze on it (photo below)
We all ate the same meal but the delivery suited our serving preferences!
So how will you be eating your kofta?
500g beef or lamb mince
1 large onion, grated (or 2 medium onions)
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup mint, finely chopped
¼ cup basil, finely chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Sea salt and pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying: approx. 4 tablespoons
Optional: for a more tender kofta add 1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Combine well all ingredients and then divide into 8 equal portions and shape into thick and short sausage patties.
2. Heat oil in frying pan and cook for 4 each side or until cooked through. Optional to BBQ.
Bean Salad Ingredients:
400g can cannellini beans, rinsed
2 tomatoes, diced
1 lebanese cucumber, diced
1 spanish onion, sliced
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
(optional: rocket or lettuce leaves)
1. Combine well all ingredients and drizzle with oil and lemon juice.
Yogurt Dressing Ingredients:
½ cup Greek yogurt
2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
¼ - ½ tsp ground cumin
(optional: 1 garlic clove, crushed)
1. Combine well all ingredients.
· Serve as a meal with kofta, salad and dressing on each plate.
· Serve in a platter on a bed of lettuce and bread or wraps on the side.
· Serve in a wrap with kofta crushed onto a bed of yogurt dressing and top with some salad.