VERY BERRY GRANITA
This Sicilian dessert is delicately icy, refreshing and if your children are like mine, it is never too cold for ice cream, sorbet or granita! The greatest thing about this is that no ice cream maker is required and it is so much simpler to make than ice cream and sorbets. With all the beautiful fruits available, there is so shortage of possibilities. You could use mango, peaches, kiwi fruit, watermelon or even make a tangy lemon granita.
3 cups fresh strawberries and raspberries
3 tbs raw honey
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 tsp rose water (optional)
1. Combine the water and honey in a saucepan and bring to boil or until the honey dissolves. Allow to cool.
2. In a food processor blend the fruit, lemon juice, and rose water until smooth.
3. Combine syrup and purée.
4. Pour into a shallow baking dish and freeze for 2 hours. Using a fork break the crystals and return to freezer.
5. Freeze for another hour and then using a fork break the crystals further.
6. Freeze for a a final hour before serving.
7. Serve immediately with fresh berries or a dollop of whipped creme fraiche.