Chicken Stew with Olives and Capsicum
Watch the video below and see how easy this recipe is to make tonught!
This home-made Chicken Stew with Olives and Capsicum will cure all your take-away cravings and have you wanting another bowl. What do they call it now? Fake-away? LOL I just can’t keep up with the new terminologies!
Chicken Stew is probably a favourite of mine, not only due to the sweet, subtle and aromatic flavours but also because it is so simple to make. I recorded myself cooking and you will see just how simple it is. However, this meal comes with a warning… your family will think you are baking pizza. Yes. It is something about the combination of tomato, chicken, capsicum and olives that makes the house smell like a pizza restaurant.
Okay, so let’s talk about simple meals. I am all about cooking the most flavourful dishes in the simplest way and in the quickest time so let’s begin!
There are so many more ingredients and so many more steps we can add to this but I have tried to limit the ingredients to those that will enhance the flavours. Sure, you can garlic and fry off the capsicum but honestly, who has the time on a Monday night? And I have tested this recipe with my family several times now and they are really loving it.
So let’s begin with frying the onion and then browning the chicken.
Two really simple steps.
Next add all remaining chicken stew ingredients and bring to boil.
Well that is really easy too, right?
Finally allow it to cook.
Yeah, I know.
How can it taste this good?
Well that’s my goal. I want every person to be able to get home from work or school and know that a wholesome, delicious and healthy meal doesn’t take long and doesn’t have to be complicated. If you want to save even more time, make a big batch on the weekend and freeze it.
Then all you need to do after work is make the rice and you can see in the video how simple that is too. No need for bulky rice cookers on the bench top, I’ve got you covered!
As always if you make this please leave me a comment on my Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook page or take a photo and tag me @createcookshare
1kg chicken thigh fillets, diced
400g or 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
400g or 1 cup crushed tomatoes
200ml or ¾ cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 red capsicum, diced
1 large brown onion, diced
2 bay leaves
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
Sea salt / pepper
To Garnish: fresh basil leaves and optional crumbled feta
1 cup basmati, long grain or jasmine rice
2 ½ cups boiling water
½ tsp sea salt
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. In a wide base pot add the oil along with the onion and sauté.
2. Add the chicken and fry until it begins to brown. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
3. Add the capsicum, olives, tomatoes, bay leaves and stock. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, take off lid and boil over high heat for 8 minutes to reduce excess liquid.
4. In the meantime prepare the rice.
5. Add oil and rice to pot and over medium heat stir to coat with oil for 2 minutes. Have boiled water prepared and cautiously add to pot along with the sea salt. Stir to even out rice and boil over high heat for 8 minutes.
6. After 8 minutes cover pot (without releasing steam), take off heat and allow to sit for another 8 minutes at least and until all liquid has been absorbed. You will notice steam holes on the surface of the rice. This tells you all liquid has been absorbed.
7. Prepare to serve equally between plates and garnish with plenty of basil leaves and optional crumbled feta.