Pastryless Spanakopita (Crustless Spinach & Feta Pie)
This Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie is made with fresh spinach, fresh herbs, creamy cheese and the nutritional goodness of eggs!
Now that winter has arrived, we are once again making this every week especially since I have so much silverbeet growing in my garden. It is so delicious that we actually crave it by the end of the week.
Have you made this yet? I previously had it on my blog under PastryLess Spanakopita and believe it or not it is one of the most popular recipes on my page. I think what is most appealing is there is no need to make your own pastry yet it tastes every bit as good as a Spanakopita with pastry.
I’ve been wanting to revamp the recipe for a year now and make some subtle changes that I have found works better plus I wanted to update the photos so here I am loading onto my web page the new and improved version.
Same as before, it is a one bowl bake. Throw everything into one bowl, combine well and bake. You will find it is really quick and easy to prepare. Leftovers can be eaten cold (lunchbox meal) or hot by just heating in the microwave or conventional oven. Best of all (and trust me) it makes an amazing breakfast the next day LOL!!!
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you. Enjoy x
300g silverbeet spinach leaves, washed, dried & chopped (Swiss Chard)
200g feta, crumbled
200g tasty cheese, grated (extra for topping)
1 cup of mint, parsley and dill combined
6 large eggs, whisked
4 green onions / shallots, sliced
½ cup milk
½ cup plain flour
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper
Note: Grain Free Version add ½ cup almond meal and 1 tbs chia seeds
1. In a deep bowl, combine well all ingredients.
2. Preheat oven to 180C fan forced and line a baking dish approximately 25cm x 15 cm.
3. Pour spinach and feta mixture into tray and flatten with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle some tasty cheese over the top.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until the centre is cooked. Rotate dish half way through.
5. Cool on a wire rack and when partially cooled cut into slices. Serve as finger food, entrée or as a main meal with a side salad, steamed rice or with a steak.