Hazelnut Surprise Balls
These Hazelnut Surprise Balls are my absolute favourite bliss balls, made with only 7 ingredients and are a guilt free pleasure!
Nothing quite compares to eating your favourite sweet treat on a beautiful afternoon with a hot cup of coffee. It is my favourite time of day and I try to fulfil it daily. One of those sweet treats used to be Ferrero Rocher. I would grab 2-3 and have them over the course of slowly sipping my coffee. Well those days are long gone for two reasons. One, they are not gluten free and two, they are way too bad for me to consume on a daily basis. Once my body hit the 40s it is just way to hard to eat like I did in my 20s (am I right or what!). So because there are so many recipes for bliss balls on social media, I wanted to develop one that resembled a Ferrero Rocher and had a surprising element to it, a Hazelnut Surprise!
What makes these Hazelnut Surprise Balls so delicious?
If you look at the ingredients, you will see how clean and healthy they are to eat. To begin with lets look at the nuts. Both Cashews and Hazelnuts are a super healthy snack option. Though they’re high in fat, the fat they contain are a healthy type. They are a great source of many nutrients and are packed with antioxidants. And what about that good old maple syrup? It’s the natural sweetener that has a beautiful flavour with hints of caramel and tones of toffee, YUM!
How easy are they to make?
These are ready in no time at all. In fact we ate a few before we even placed them into the fridge to set. All you need are the ingredients and a food processor.
Some options and tips:
· I would highly recommend processing the cashews separately rather than all ingredients together. This process makes sure that the cashews are broken down well rather than leaving chunks.
· If your hands get sticky rolling them, make sure you have some damp paper towels nearby to wipe down your palms. This helps with the rolling.
· If the mixture seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water.
· Optional to coat the outside of the balls with finely crushed hazelnuts by rolling them into the mixture.
1 cup hazelnuts or cashews
16 individual hazelnuts
3 tbs maple syrup
3 tbs raw cacao
2 tbs chocolate drops
4 pitted dates, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Add cashews to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Empty into a bowl.
2. Add to food processor chocolate drops and dates and pulse until chopped.
3. Add the cashews back into the food processor along with maple syrup, cacao and vanilla extract and process until well combined.
4. Roll a tablespoon amount into a ball and insert a hazelnut into the middle and roll again to form a perfect ball. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5. Place into an air tight container and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks.