Isn’t Lasagna a family favourite? It ticks all the right boxes and of course it’s delicious. Well today I’ve added a new favourite to your lasagne recipes. Introducing you to Lasagna Cake! Everything a Lasagna has but with a fun twist. The rich Bolognese sauce is there, the creamy white sauce is there and the pasta …. well, I’ve given it a miss and added wraps as layers instead which makes it not only REALLY delicious but also REALLY easy and simple to assemble!
If you are like my family and eat gluten free then you can choose any gluten free wraps and if you’re in Australia, I’ve used Old Time Bakery Buckwheat and Sorghum Wraps. Mind you, you can use any from there range. If you eat wheat based wraps then any will do including burrito or fajita wraps or sandwich wraps. They all work a treat!
This recipe is actually really simple.
First prepare your beef mixture. Have all your ingredients ready and follow the three simple steps to a rich tomato Bolognese sauce.
While this is cooking, prepare the sour cream mixture. This is so much easier than making a bechamél sauce and tastes just as good.
Finally time to assemble. The process is so easy. Keep in mind however that one of the steps is to make sure the wraps you buy fit into the spring tin you have at home. If they are too big, then I suggest you cut around for it to fit inside snuggly.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
4 wraps of choice
1kg beef mince
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
600g jar of tomato pasta sauce
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
2 carrots, grated
1 cup combine fresh herbs, parsley and basil
1 ½ cups grated mozzarella or pizza cheese
300ml sour cream
2 eggs, whisked
1 tsp corn flour or tapioca flour diluted in ¼ cold water
Prepare beef mixture
1. Add mince and oil to pan and using a wooden spoon break up the mince and cook until it starts to brown. Add onion, garlic and carrots and continue to stir whilst cooking for a further 2 minutes.
2. Add fresh herbs, tomato pasta sauce and corn flour mixture to pot. Add seasoning and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
3. Now grease a springform pan 20-25 cm in diameter and line with baking paper. Pre-heat over 190C fan forced.
Prepare sour cream mixture
4. In a bowl whisk the 2 eggs and then add the sour cream. Season with sea salt and pepper.
Assemble lasagne cake
5. Spray with olive oil around the inside of the pan. Place 1 of the wraps on the base of pan and add ¼ of the beef mixture and spread out evenly.
6. Evenly Sprinkle ¼ of the grated cheese mixture and then drizzle a quarter of the sour cream mixture over the cheese. Repeat starting with the wrap. Finish off and top with remaining beef mixture, grated cheese and sour cream mixture.
7. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 -35 minutes, half way through, turn springform pan around to bake evenly and brown evenly.
8. Once cooked allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
9. Serve with green salad, rocket salad and optional parmesan cheese.