Mediterranean Beans on Toast, gluten-free
My Mediterranean Beans on Toast is a flavour bomb that is deliciously healthy, gluten-free, and vegan. The creamy butter beans and sweet cherry tomatoes marry perfectly with the flavours of garlic, oregano, paprika, and fresh basil. It's a full-flavoured recipe that is cooked in only 10 minutes.
Store-bought baked beans can be heavy, sweet, and quite unhealthy in comparison to this homemade Mediterranean version that is light, naturally sweetened, healthy, and fresh tasting. It's perfectly satisfying for any meal of the day including breakfast, lunch, or even dinner!
Watch How to Make It
What to Serve it With
These Mediterranean Beans pair perfectly with toasted bread, however, they are so versatile that they can also be served with:
Any style of gluten-free bread including focaccia or baguette
Sausages or Steak
Fried eggs and Mushrooms
Fries or Baked Potatoes
Baked or Steamed Vegetables
On their own!
Mediterranean Beans on Toast
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
4 servings of gluten-free focaccia bread, toasted or grilled
2 x 400g cans of butter beans, drained and rinsed
2 punnets cherry tomatoes
1 brown onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
1 cup fresh basil leaves
Sea salt and pepper, a generous amount
To Garnish Additional Option:
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Crumbled Greek feta
Juice of fresh lemon
1. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a wide frying pan, and add the onions. Sauté for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
2. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and gently stir for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the beans, oregano, paprika, sea salt, and pepper and stir to evenly coat all ingredients. Place the lid on the frying pan and gently simmer for 3 minutes. In the meantime, toast the focaccia (or optional to serve over steamed rice).
4. Remove from heat and stir through the basil leaves and choice of cheese.
5. Either serve into a large dish, over toasted focaccia, or over steamed rice. Drizzle over the top extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice (optional) and enjoy.
Have you tried this recipe?
Share it with me at @createcookshare so I can admire your masterpiece!
Recipe and Photography Margaret Pahos for @CreateCookShare