These one bowl grain-free Halloumi Muffins are so easy to make, they’ll be part of your weekly meal prep for school or work lunches. The halloumi, zucchini and mint flavours marry so beautifully and the hint of almond meal gives it a touch of sweetness that it reminds me of Cypriot Flaounes.
Flaounes are small savoury buns stuffed with a halloumi, raisins, mint and garnished with sesame seeds. It is a combination that may seem unusual but works wonderfully. Unfortunately there is a bit of work involved in making Flaounes so I’ve opted to create something with similar flavours but is much easier to whip up and cook. In fact, all you need is a grater, a bowl and a muffin tin.
If you are not a fan of combining savoury and sweet, leave out the honey or you can swap it for maple syrup if you are not a fan of honey. I’ve also written that you can add plain flour instead of coconut flour that will once again reduce that hint of sweetness.
I hope you all try these one bowl grain-free Halloumi Muffins and don’t forget to leave me a comment and tag me on Facebook or Instagram. I love seeing all your photos of my recipes. Enjoy x
Makes 10 medium size muffins
225g block halloumi, grated
12 large mint leaves, chopped
2 large eggs, whisked
2 tbs coconut flour (optional plain flour)
3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large zucchini, grated
(do not squeeze all the liquid out)
1 tbs chia seeds
½ cup almond meal
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbs honey (optional)
pinch of salt and pepper
Optional: one thinly sliced green onion
1. Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl including the eggs, oil and honey.
2. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, chia seeds and combine.
3. Finally add all remaining ingredients and combine well.
4. Prepare greased muffin tins or you can use silicone ones and pour mixture into muffin holes.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 180C fan forced for 25 minutes.
6. Serve warm, at room temperature or even the next day straight out of the fridge.