Bread and Berry Pudding
This Bread and Berry Pudding is not only the perfect way to use leftover bread, it is also an easy and quick dessert to whip up when in need of some comfort food.
Helga’s Gluten Free Bread, has opened up so many exciting dessert options. Vanilla custard on the inside, strawberries and blueberries in between and golden crunchy top, the only question is whether you serve it with maple syrup, ice cream or both.
You can’t go wrong with this dessert; and we are so excited to have the option of using Helga’s Gluten Free Bread. Their big, soft, and tasty slices are the perfect choice. Helga’s Gluten Free Bread is full of the good things we love about Helga’s without gluten and it is so good to be able to have bread available that tastes like ‘real bread’!
Now onto the recipe:
· Can I make this ahead of time? Yes, you can! Just cover it well with cling wrap and leave it in the fridge a few hours ahead of time. Take it out of the fridge 15 minutes before baking.
· Can I use frozen berries? Yes, you can! You’ll find most of the ingredients are in your pantry and fridge so substituting is easy.
· Can I serve it in summer? Yes, you can! Serve it at room temperature and add a scoop of ice cream. You will love it!
· What if the bread is not all soaked and sitting in the custard mixture? Remember when pouring it over the bread, make sure all the bread corners are coated in the milk mixture which helps keep it moist. If you have used a tray that is bigger then add extra a half cup of milk.
Any other questions? Feel free to email me or contact me via Facebook or Instagram.
Step 1: Prepare bread by cutting on the diagonal and arranging in a fan pattern
Step 2 assemble and ready to bake:
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
1x Helga’s Gluten Free Traditional White Loaf
125g strawberries, sliced in quarters
3 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons salted butter + 1 teaspoon for greasing the tray
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 eggs, whisked
4 tablespoons sugar (coconut, raw, white or monk fruit)
¼ cup slivered almonds (optional)
1. Add to a saucepan the milk, butter, vanilla and sugar. Warm over a low heat or until the butter melts. Turn off heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180C fan forced and prepare the baking tray and bread. Butter the baking tray (approximately 20 x 25cm in size) with a teaspoon of butter. Prepare the bread by slicing each slice on the diagonal and placing them in the baking tray in a fan pattern.
3. Scatter the blueberries and strawberries over the bread and tuck some in-between.
4. Add the whisked eggs to the milk mixture. Whisk until well combined and pour over the bread evenly. Allow the bread to soak up the egg mixture for 10 minutes at room temperature and then place into oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle slivered almonds over pudding and bake for a further 15 minutes or until custard is set but still has a slight wobble in the centre. Once baked allow to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Optional to dust with icing sugar and serve with maple syrup and ice cream.
For Helga's range of Gluten Free Bread please visit http://helgas.com.au/range/gluten-free