Crispy Noodle Salad in a Jar with Quinoa
Planning your meals for the week ahead? Look no further! Try creating these Crispy Noodle Salad with Quinoa in a Jar for a filling meal.
Meal prep is key to continuous healthy and balanced eating habits. Trust me, I know this from experience. When I haven’t meal prepped my lunch, I tend to grab a packet of chips or something on the go which NEVER ends up being healthy. On the other hand, when I make something very light, I end up being hungry by 3pm and grab a chocolate bar. I’m DOOMED! So, when Chang’s Asian Food asked me to create a lunch meal with their crispy fried noodles I jumped on the opportunity.
Firstly, why create any other salad when their Famous Crispy Noodle Salad is delicious? Many people from many cultures in Australia have made it and rave on about it so, instead why not enhance it to create a filling meal? So here it is. Nothing fancy but it sure does hit the spot and I can guarantee you, that you will be serving this on a platter on the weekend to your family and friends.
And now onto the recipe and some suggestions:
· Some people do not add that much boiling water to quinoa. The reason I suggest this is because it gives it a more fluffy and fuller texture.
· Do not add the salad dressing in the jar as it may soften the crispy noodles. My suggestion would be store the sauce in separate little containers which you can find at your local supermarket. In Australia décor sells packs of 6 dressing tubs. These are fantastic.
· If you are worried about the crispy noodles softening in the fridge then you can add these each morning to your ready-made salad filled jars. I usually do this myself.
And now time to start cooking!
Makes 5 large jar servings
¼ green cabbage, finely shredded
¼ purple cabbage, finely shredded
6 green onions
1 cup slivered almonds
1 bottle Chang’s Crispy Noodle Salad Dressing
1 packet Chang’s Crispy Fried Noodles (choice of Fried, Crunchy or Gluten Free)
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup quinoa
1. Prepare quinoa according to packet instructions. (Suggested to cook 1 cup quinoa to 2.5 cups of boiling water plus 1 tsp olive oil and simmer until all the water has been absorbed. Lightly season with sea salt). Allow to completely cool.
2. Add to the jars the ingredients in the following order. Quinoa, purple cabbage, green cabbage, carrot, almonds, green onions and top off with crispy noodles. Store sauce in separate jars that fit approximately 40-60ml.