Deliciously Healthier Choc Chip Cookies
These Deliciously Healthier Choc Chip Cookies are so good, you will not taste that there are no added refined sugars or that they're lower in carbs than the average choc chip cookie. And, if you find that you are the type of person reaching out for a cookie every time you drink a cuppa, then these quick and simple, one-bowl cookies are for you! The flavour is deliciously perfect and the texture is scrumptiously chewy, so what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
· For the best choc chip cookie, do not use chocolate chips but roughly chop into small chunks a block of cooking chocolate.
· If you have the time, chill the dough for 20-30 minutes – this is not essential but it does allow the flour to fully hydrate which makes for a firmer cookie. If you love your cookies soft like we do, then make them straight away.
· Make sure the butter is melted and not at room temperature. When you melt the butter, it creates a soft chewy cookie.
· I have added monk fruit sugar but coconut sugar will taste the same. If you prefer that added sweetness, then add an extra 20g into the dough mixture.
· I use either organic or pastured free-range eggs. Why? Other than being more delicious, they are higher in vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and ¼ less saturated fat.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
Be Well, Margaret x
Makes 24 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
300g almond flour (optional almond meal)
120g plain flour (I used gluten free White Wings plain flour)
120g milk or dark cooking chocolate (block), roughly chopped into small chunks
50g monk fruit golden sugar (optional coconut sugar)
170g salted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 pastured free-range eggs
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C fan forced (less if your oven tends to “burn” around the edges) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. In a bowl add the monk fruit / coconut sugar along with the melted butter. Whisk until creamy. Then add the eggs and whisk until well combined.
3. Add the almond meal, flour, vanilla extract and mix well. Finally fold in the chocolate chunks (If you have the time, chill the dough for 20 minutes – this is not essential but it does allow the flour to fully hydrate which makes for a firmer cookie. If you love your cookies soft like we do, then make them straight away)
4. Scoop the dough with a cookie scoop, roll into a ball and place onto the baking paper. Repeat with remaining dough. Taking a fork, gently press onto each dough ball to create a thick, flat cookie.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Cool before serving or enjoy warm straight out of the oven! Enjoy.