Potato, Bacon and Onion Gratin
Creamy and Cheesy Potato, Bacon and Onion Gratin is a hearty savoury dish that is perfect on its own or the perfect complement to roast pork, beef or chicken. It's not only tasty and full of flavour but easy to make.
Potato with Bacon and Onion Gratin…YUM! Don't ever ask me to give up potatoes because I won’t hear of it! You often see me posting grain-free recipes but potatoes are my carb life. Give me a “HELL YEAH!” if you agree! Or should I say "Please sir, I want some more!"
And, in case you didn’t know, potatoes, bacon, and onion are one of my ultimate flavour combinations so I suggest you give this recipe a try. Nothing else is needed just a big serving on each plate and you’re tummy will be content for the night.
What makes these potatoes so good?
Well for one, thinly sliced cooked potatoes with crispy edges. Two, creamy cream (yes I just wrote that). Three, bacon (enough said about that ingredient). Four, nutmeg! The added nutmeg makes the cream taste like a bechamél sauce… YUM
How to thinly slice potatoes?
I would suggest using a mandolin. I mean if you’re good with a sharp knife then go ahead but my best friend in the kitchen when it comes to thinly slicing and being consistent is a mandolin. If you are in Australia, this what I have at home (this is not sponsored, just letting you know the one I love to use)
Will my potatoes cook evenly if they are not all submerged in cream?
No, they will not but that is the whole purpose of layering them vertically. You will get the soft creamy potatoes on the bottom of the tray and then the top quarter will be crispy and crunchy. Isn’t that everyone’s favourite bit?
Can I add cheese?
Of course! A handful of mozzarella and parmesan cheese would be phenomenal. I would add that first and then the breadcrumbs so the cheese won’t burn on top.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
Happy Cooking, Margaret x
Potato, Bacon and Onion Gratin
1.5kg white potatoes, sliced using a mandolin
3 large onions, thinly sliced
250g bacon, diced
600ml pouring cream
½ cup finely chopped parsley
1 tsp nutmeg
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs bread crumbs or almond meal
generous amount of sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190C fan forced. Prepare baking tray approximately 20 x 25 cm
2. Place potato and onion in vertical layers (put 4 potato slices to every 1 slice of onion and then a few diced pieces of bacon in between) Repeat layering.
3. Once all potatoes and onion have been layered, scatter the parsley and remaining bacon in and amongst the layering and spread out evenly.
4. In a bowl, combine the cream, nutmeg, garlic and sea salt and pepper. Pour over the baking dish, evenly distributing over the potatoes and then sprinkle with the bread crumbs over the top.
5. Cover with a large sheet of baking paper making sure all corners are covered well and bake in oven for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, checking halfway through that the potatoes are baking evenly. You may need to rotate the baking dish halfway through baking.
6. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving to allow potatoes to absorb any remaining liquid. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves.