Slow Cooker Beef Stew, gluten-free
This Slow Cooker Beef Stew has tender pieces of beef, fluffy potatoes, sweet carrots, and juicy green beans. It's a hearty, chunky, and wholesome gluten-free dinner, that's versatile and pairs perfectly with crusty bread or fluffy rice. Best of all, with no need to brown or saute, this one-pot meal is easy to put together, fuss-free, and requires minimal cleanup. Let's cook it together!
Why you'll love this Slow Cooker Beef Stew
All that is needed is for the vegetables to be diced and the meat to be seasoned and then the slow cooker does the rest of the work!
Cooking on a Budget
Cooking with a cheaper cut of meat and vegetables makes this a budget-friendly recipe. In fact, you probably have most of these items in your refrigerator and pantry already.
Meal Prep Idea!
This is a great recipe for meal prep. Simply allow the Beef Stew to completely cool once cooked, place it into microwave-safe containers (optional to add rice), and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Why not cook my Stovetop Rice to go with it?
Watch How to Make It
Can I use the Oven to make this recipe?
Add all the ingredients into a Dutch oven and bake in the oven at 170°C for 4 hours.
What type of Beef is best for this recipe?
Leaner cuts and cheaper cuts of beef work perfectly with this recipe. As it cooks long and slow, the beef will tenderise and break down, creating a deliciously soft texture. For this reason, low-fat and cheaper cuts are better.
Can I use other Vegetables?
Other vegetables can be incorporated into this beef stew, including, cauliflower, sweet potato, peas, and zucchini. Have fun experimenting and using leftover vegetables from your veggie draw!
Leftovers can remain in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other Beef or Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Beef Stew, gluten-free
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6 hours in slow cooker on high
1kg beef, gravy beef, or any cheaper cuts*
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 large brown onion, sliced
8 small potatoes, cut in half
2 large carrots, sliced 1cm thick
2 cups (300g) green beans
Optional: 4 large button mushrooms, sliced in half
700ml beef or vegetable stock/broth, gluten-free
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce, gluten-free
3 tablespoons cornflour (corn starch)
3 rosemary springs
3 bay leaves
½ cup parsley leaves, chopped
Generous seasoning of sea salt and pepper
1. Pat dry the beef and season both sides with sea salt, pepper, onion, garlic, mustard, and oregano. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the slow cooker and place the beef into the slow cooker.
2. Add to the slow cooker the garlic, onion, potatoes, and carrots.
3. Add to the slow cooker the apple cider vinegar, tamari soy sauce, tomato paste, rosemary springs, and bay leaf leaves, and season with sea salt and pepper.
4. Heat the beef or vegetable stock/ broth in the microwave and pour into the slow cooker.
5. Turn on the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours or 10 hours on low.
6. In a bowl combine half a cup of cold water and the cornstarch to create a slurry. Pour into the slow cooker and stir through. Add the green beans and optional mushrooms as well. Cook a further 1 hour on high.
7. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with fresh parsley leaves. Serve with crusty bread, rice, or quinoa.
MEAL PREP MEAL
Have you tried this recipe?
Share it with me at @createcookshare on
Recipe and Photography by Margaret Pahos for @CreateCookShare