Chipotle Pulled Chicken with Avocado and Corn Salsa
Chipotle Pulled Chicken is juicy and full of flavour that you will want to eat it straight out of the pot! It is also versatile and can go with any side dish including rice, baked potatoes or steamed vegetables - the possibilities are endless. But, today we are serving it with the freshest and most aromatic Avocado and Corn Salsa wrapped up in warm toasted tortillas!
Mexican Food always is a winner in our household as we love the smokey flavours and warming spices that never get old. Maybe it's the combination of smokey, spicy and sweetness that makes us go back for more. Either way, we know you will love it as much as we do.
Slow Cooker: If you do not have a slow cooker, this recipe works just as well on the stovetop. You will just need to keep an eye on it and may need to add some liquid if it gets too thick in case it catches to the bottom of the pot. It will be easy to tell when it is ready as when you try shredding it, the chicken pulls apart.
Extra ingredients: Feel free to add some sour cream or shredded lettuce to your tortillas.
Vegetarian Options: You can replace the chicken with a combination of Jackfruit and mushrooms and reduce the cooking time to half.
Makes 16 Tortillas
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 3.5 hours
4 Chicken Breasts (I used The Bare Bird Chicken and they cook perfectly every time)
400g can diced tomatoes
200g jar ready-made mild salsa sauce
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons smoky chipotle seasoning
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1. Turn onto high the slow cooker and add the diced tomatoes, salsa, oil, apple cider vinegar, chipotle seasoning and sugar. Combine well.
2. Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper and submerge it into the sauce.
3. Cover with the lid and cook on high heat for 3 hours or over low heat for 6 hours (depending on your slow cooker).
4. Gently shred the chicken with a fork and knife. Cover again and cook for a further 20 minutes.
5. Once cooked, turn off the slow cooker and squeeze lime juice over chicken. Prepare Avocado and Corn Salsa.
Avocado and Corn Salsa
2 fresh corn cobs or can
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 small red onion, diced
½ red capsicum, deseeded and chopped
2 avocados, stoned, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Handful Coriander, roughly chopped
Sea salt and pepper
1. If using fresh corn either BBQ till charred or boil until tend. Cut corn off the cob and put in a large serving bowl. Alternatively, if using canned corn, rinse under cold water and strain.
2. Add the tomatoes, onion, red capsicum, avocado, garlic, coriander, lime juice and seasoning, and combine well.
Place chipotle pulled chicken into tortillas, top with salsa, and enjoy!
TIP! Use any leftover pulled chicken in a Burrito Bowl for lunch the next day.