Spaghetti Carbonara with Parmesan Crusted Chicken
You will have to make this spectacular recipe as today we celebrate in the social media world #carbonaraday . What better way to celebrate than with a beautiful and delicious Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe I created using pasta (glutenfree), bacon, egg yolks and chicken! YUM!
When I think of Carbonara, I think bacon and eggs Italian-style. A meal that is super quick and easy to make (in only 20 minutes), but this time I've added a simple addition to make it extra delicious and appealing to the kids (and partners) who love a good chicken snitty.
Many do not realise that a traditional Carbonara sauce is made with pasta water, eggs and parmesan cheese all mixed through the silky pasta. No cream. Yes, no cream. This makes for a lighter and more protein enriched meal and trust me you won't miss the cream.
Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
Yes you can. Even though Carbonara sauce must have no added cream, there is no rule that says vegetables are not allowed. I love to add chopped asparagus, peas and even baby spinach. It pairs well with the bacon and gives the meal an even lighter taste.
I love to add an extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over each plate and a little squeeze of lemon juice. I know it sounds unusual but it is so good (or maybe my tastebuds are just unique! LOL)
If you want an even more creamier sauce add extra egg yolks.
If you do not like bacon, then try using diced pieces of turkey.
Do not skimp on the fat. Add the extra virgin olive oil and butter as suggested as it gives it that creaminess and helps bind it together.
The salt is to season the chicken and add to the pasta water. There is no need for salt over the pasta as the bacon is salty enough.
If you are unable to digest garlic, in Australia Cobram Estate have a garlic infused olive oil that is divine! Add a teaspoon of instead of fresh garlic.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
Be Well, Margaret x
1 large chicken breast, halved to make 2 fillets (preferably organic)
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon plain flour (gluten free)
½ teaspoon paprika
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 packet Spaghetti ( I used Barilla Gluten Free)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 garlic gloves, finely chopped
250g bacon, cut into strips
3 egg yolks, whisked well
3 -4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pasta water
Garnish: Parsley and Chilli Flakes (optional)
1. Season the chicken with sea salt and pepper. Add to a bowl the parmesan cheese, flour and paprika and coat the chicken in the mixture. Shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a pan and over a medium heat fry the chicken until golden on both sides. Set aside on a plate and allow to sit before slicing.
2. Boil pasta al dente according to the packet instructions. Drain but keep 1/3 cup pasta water. Set aside.
3. In the same frying pan as the chicken, add the oil, butter and bacon. Fry until lightly golden but not brown then add the garlic and cook a further 1 minute. In the meantime, add the egg yolks to a bowl with the cooled down pasta water and whisk till combine well.
4. Now add the pasta to the frying pan with the bacon and pour over the yolk mixture. Turn off heat and combine fast so the eggs do not cook. Sprinkle over a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese and combine gently.
5. Serve immediately topped with strips of parmesan coated chicken and garnish with parsley, chilli flakes and freshly ground pepper.