Coconut Poached Chicken with Wild Rice (gluten-free)
Warming rice, crunchy fresh herbs, creamy stock, and juicy chicken slices come together to create this Coconut Poached Chicken with a Wild Rice recipe. It's light, healthy, and perfect for anyone wanting an easy yet full-flavoured mid-week meal.
After consuming enough food to feed a small village during these school holidays, I wanted to create recipes that would make me feel healthier and lighter and was soothing to my soul. Here enters this poached chicken recipe and I am sure it will make you feel exactly just that way too.
One day whilst looking at chicken and coconut recipes, I across this recipe by Donna Hay.
but I wanted to recreate it as a soup and so my Coconut Poached Chicken with Wild Rice was the end result.
Before we get to the recipe, here are a few tips and options for you and be sure to watch my video below to see how easy it is to make! Enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
This is a very simple recipe and has only a few easy main steps:
Combine the stock ingredients.
Poach and slice the chicken
Heat the rice
Bring it together in a bowl. Layer the rice, chicken, vegetables, and herbs and pour over the hot aromatic stock.
INGREDIENTS AND VARIATIONS
RICE: Can I use microwave rice instead of cooking my own? Yes! I have made this using microwave rice and it turns out great. I bought both black rice and white rice and combined them. Simply follow the heating suggestions as recommended on the packet and add them to the bowls.
CHICKEN: Can I use leftover chicken? Yes once again! To speed up the process, why not use leftover chicken and simply shred it. In fact, you could probably use leftover turkey!
LOW CARB: What is a low-carb option? We are so lucky to have available in our supermarkets so many wonderful low-carb options. One that I use often is the rice konjac noodles. You can view the product at this link: https://slendier.com/product/slendier-rice/ Alternatively, why not use cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles instead.
Other Chicken and Soup Recipes
Coconut Poached Chicken with Wild Rice
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
400g Chicken Breasts
450g wild rice, a mixture of white and black microwave rice
400g coconut milk
200g snow peas, sliced diagonally
100g bean sprouts
1-litre chicken stock
2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
1 tablespoon brown or coconut sugar
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
5cm piece ginger, grated
Juice of 1 lime
Thai Basil and Coriander leaves
Sea salt and pepper
1. Place coconut milk, chicken stock, hot sauce, lemongrass, and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat and add chicken. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
3. In the meantime, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
4. Remove the chicken and discard the lemongrass. Now add to the stock the lime juice and brown sugar and stir through. Turn off the heat but keep covered to keep hot. In the meantime, shred or slice the chicken.
5. Divide rice and chicken among 4 bowls. Top with snow peas, bean sprouts Thai basil, and coriander leaves, and pour a few ladles of the hot stock into each bowl. Allow rice to absorb some of the stock for a few minutes before serving and add an extra drizzle of hot sauce over the top.
Have you tried this recipe?
Share it with me at @createcookshare so I can admire your masterpiece!
Recipe and Photography by Margaret Pahos for @CreateCookShare