Lemongrass Tenderloins with Warm Vietnamese Salad
A healthy and fresh-tasting meal with Lemongrass Chicken Tenderloins and a Warm Vietnamese Salad that is served as a noodle bowl mixed with herbs and several garnishes.
About this recipe:
This flavourful noodle salad is not only the perfect meal but a cheap option. You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and cook them last minute as it only takes 20 minutes to bring the bowl together.
I can not - not mention, however, the stand out flavours of the chicken tenderloins. The marinade is fantastic with earthy warm flavours from the lemongrass, coconut sugar, curry and ginger. For me, these complex and aromatic flavours really stand out and I am sure you will think so too.
Before we get to the recipe, here are a few tips and options for you and be sure to watch my video below to see how easy it is to make! Enjoy!
TIPS AND VARIATIONS:
Can I use another type of protein? I have only ever used chicken as it is our family's favourite way to create this dish, however, I am sure thinly sliced beef, green prawns or even tofu would work really well with these flavours.
Can I use other Vegetables? Yes of course. I am not the biggest fan of edamame beans but this is the bowl I put together for my daughter who really loves them. I used instead peas for myself, so, pretty much any equivalent vegetable can be swapped.
Can I make this for a crowd? This is a fantastic recipe to serve for a gathering of family or friends. My suggestion is if you cook up the noodles and salad and then assign a friend to BBQ the protein, this comes together in no time at all. In the meantime, place and layout all your components and garnishes and each guest can help themselves and assemble their own noodle bowl. It is fun and entertaining and the perfect crowd-pleaser.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
Happy Cooking, Margaret x
Warm Vietnamese Noodles with Cucumber and Lemongrass Tenderloins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
500g tenderloins (approx. 8-10 pieces and as usual I use The Bare Bird chickens)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass, the white inner part of the stalks
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Tamari or Soy from Chang's Asian Food)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon red curry paste (I used 'Ayam')
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
3 Lebanese cucumbers, shaved lengthways with a vegetable peeler
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
Warming Garlic Noodles:
250g rice vermicelli noodles (Chang's is the best as they do not fall apart)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter (dairy-free alternative)
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
Crushed peanuts (Nut free - toasted sesame seeds)
Fresh chilli sliced
Coriander and Mint
Wedges of Lime
1. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients in a wide bowl where you will marinate the chicken. Toss the chicken making sure it is evenly coated and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the noodles.
2. Prepare the noodles according to packet instructions, drain and set aside. Add to a pan the butter, olive oil and garlic and lightly sauté. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, and noodles. Toss to combine well and top with chilli flakes. Cover pan to keep warm and set aside.
3. Heat a large skillet pan with some oil (or BBQ), add the chicken tenderloins and cook for 3 minutes a side over high heat. Allow to rest, covered to keep warm, for 5 minutes before slicing.
4. In the meantime, in a bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and honey. Pour over the cucumbers and garnish with crushed peanuts.
5. Bring altogether by arranging the warming garlic noodles, topped with slices of chicken, cucumber and suggested garnish.