Rustic Chicken Casserole
Full of bright fresh flavours, this Rustic Chicken Casserole is a one-pot clever recipe that allows each flavour to shine. It is a great meal all year round that gives you true food comfort in less than 45 minutes. Flavourful chicken, fresh vegetables and a pop of pesto flavour is what it's all about!
Chicken - If you prefer to use leaner chicken pieces, then this will go well with chicken breast or if you like pieces with the bone in, then drumsticks work well too (you may need to cook it a little longer with drumsticks).
Beans - If you are not a fan of chickpeas, then use any white beans. I personally love black eye beans or cannellini beans.
Vegetables - You can replace broccolini with broccoli florets or even cauliflower florets. It will change the flavour but that is all part of the fun of experimenting with flavours!
Serve alongside - We love this meal with country bread but it goes perfectly well with rice and even spiral pasta.
Make sure you use a large and wide base pot that will allow space for the vegetables once you have fried off the chicken.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you.
Be Well, Margaret x
Watch How to Make It
Rustic Chicken Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
8 Chicken Thighs (I used The Bare Bird)
8 baby white potatoes, cut in half
400g can organic chickpeas, drained
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup plain flour (glutenfree or rice flour)
1 leek, finely sliced
400ml chicken broth or stock
200ml white wine
150g baby peas
150g English spinach or mustard greens, finely cut
200g broccolini, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon quality basil pesto (dairy-free optional)
½ cup mint leaves, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Season the chicken and then toss it in the flour. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and over medium heat sauté the leek until soft. Add the chicken and cook until golden on all sides then add the wine and bring to boil.
3. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, and chickpeas, cover, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add the pesto, mustard greens, peas, and broccolini. Season, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Distribute between shallow bowls and garnish with mint leaves. Serve with Warm Crusty Bread.