If you've ever had a Spanish Omelette, then you'll love this version. It is tasty, simple, filling and the perfect meal when served with a salad.
300 g white floury potatoes
1 large brown onion, sliced into strips 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley 4 eggs
1. Peel the potatoes and slice them thin using a mandoline and prepare the onion.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, add half the potatoes and onions and stew gently for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until the potatoes are softened. Remove and repeat with the remaining half. Remove from the pan.
3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, and add the potatoes and onion and salt to taste. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
4. Heat the pan again and tip the mixture in. Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, using a spatula to shape the omelette into a cushion by tucking in the edges.
5. Invert on a plate, slide back into the pan and cook for 5 more minutes (tucking in the edges again). 6. Slide onto a plate and cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Cover the pan when stewing the potatoes and onions, they will cook quicker and more evenly.
The trickiest part of this recipe is inverting the omelette half cooked and sliding it back into the frying pan. I use a plate, slightly bigger than the pan, place it upside down (as if it was a lid), hold it with my hand, remove the pan from the heat and turn it upside down quickly. Then slide it back into the pan (which is much easier to do if we previously oil the plate a little).
This basic recipe can be enhanced by adding vegetables, cheese, meat, tuna, herbs, etc to the basic ingredients.