Basil and Zucchini Pesto Pasta
The most perfect #meatfreemonday meal is here! My Basil and Zucchini Pesto Pasta will not only make Mondays delicious again, but it will also make them efficient, fun and wholesome.
Are you ready for this delicious vegetarian recipe? It was one of those spontaneous ideas that just popped into my head when I saw the new Barilla Pesto Rustico Range. I have always loved adding Pesto and roasted vegetables together in a pasta meal and thought this would be one of those times. The ingredients are simple but the flavours are bold and aromatic.
In March this year #barillaaus launched a new range of Pesto in Australia, Pesto Rustico. It is Pesto that is chunky with a rustic touch and it is scrumptiously delicious! I am so honoured to be asked to let you know about it as we have tried, tested and loved it. We have added the Pesto Rustico Range to Bruschetta, Fish, Chicken and of course, Pasta! They are so versatile that they have become a pantry staple in our home.
I know you will love the flavours of this recipe - Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1 packet Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti (or traditional)
1 x Barilla Pesto Rustico Basil and Zucchini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional to use olive oil spray)
1 large zucchini
¼ cup lightly toasted pine nuts
60g baby spinach
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Fresh basil leaves
Sea salt and Pepper
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven 200C fan-forced and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Cut the zucchini in half lengthways and then into half circles. Place on the tray and coat with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until they begin to brown.
3. In the last 3 minutes of the zucchini baking, add the pine nuts to a separate tray and bake for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
4. In the meantime, cook the pasta according to packet instructions and then drain. Save 1/3 cup of pasta water.
5. Add the pesto to the spaghetti and then the pasta water and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
6. Once the pasta has been coated with the Pesto, add the zucchini, pine nuts and baby spinach leaves. Gently fold into the pasta.
7. Serve immediately and top with finely grated parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.