Fasolakia Green Flat Bean Stew
A classic Greek dish in summer is Fasolakia which is translated to Green Bean Stew. Beans along with potatoes, carrots and zucchini are slowly cooked in a rich olive oil and tomato sauce until they all soften and flavours are infused.
Traditionally the round beans are used however, since I grow a variety of green beans in my vegetable patch, I must admit these are my favourite to cook with. Trust me, you should give them a try! You will also be pleasantly surprised how simple Fasolakia are to cook and how much flavour there is in a meal that needs only one pot to cook #onepotmeal . Afterwards all that you need is a slab of feta, a few kalamata olives and a chunk of bread to soak up that rich olive oil and tomato sauce and you will be dreaming of these Fasolakia your sleep!
I have created a short video for you to see how easy this is to cook. All you need is a little patience to let it slowly simmer on your cook top but trust me, it's worth the wait.
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you. Enjoy x
500g flat green beans, cleaned and cut in half
400g can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium potatoes, quartered
1 large carrot, chopped
1 zucchini, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
4-5 springs of thyme
¼ finely chopped parsley (optional)
1 cinnamon stick
sea salt / freshly ground pepper
To serve: Feta, Olives, Bread
1. Heat olive oil in a wide base pot.
2. Add onion for a minute then add the garlic and beans and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, carrots and zucchini and further sauté for 2 minutes and season well. Add the fresh thyme leaves and optional to add fresh parsley as well.
4. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, cinnamon stick and boiling water. Add enough water to just cover most of the beans and vegetables. Bring to boil and then reduce heat, cover with lid and simmer for 40 minutes. Half way through gently stir making sure all beans and vegetables have been covered and cooked in the liquid.
5. After 45 minutes, remove the lid and simmer on medium heat for a further 10 minutes so the extra sauce thickens and reduces. Turn off the heat, cover and let them sit to further absorb the liquid for at least 5 minutes.
6. Take the pot to the table and serve warm with crusty bread, feta and olives!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: