Salmon with Summer Vegetables
My Salmon with Summer Vegetables is packed with flavour, full of nutritious ingredients that are in season, is easy to make and cleaning up is a breeze!
I often post on my Instagram and Facebook page photographs of my vegetable patch. These images are my favourite and it is because I am so proud of the work my husband and I put into it. Growing organic vegetables is not easy I assure you. We are out there checking under leaves for caterpillars daily so we do not have to use any pesticides. Only this chore could take us up to 40 minutes a day but I must say, the rewards are worth it.
My grape tomatoes growing in my raised garden beds 2021
Even though it is summer in Australia, after a month of rain and cold weather my tomatoes finally ripened and looked ready to harvest. So, with an abundance of zucchini and fresh from the vine tomatoes, I decided to make this dish that combines the two along with my favourite piece of seafood – salmon.
· I am often asked by family and friends that come over for dinner whether they can swap potatoes for sweet potatoes or zucchini for eggplant and vise versa. My advice is to cook with whatever vegetables your friends or family (especially if you have children) prefer. Just make sure that you cut the vegetables to a size that will allow them to all cook evenly. For example, eggplant takes longer to cook so you’ll need to make sure to slice it thinner or cook them an extra 7-10 minutes prior to adding the other vegetables.
· I have given the option to add crumbled feta to this recipe as it is absolutely delicious. The feta once baked is warm, soft and creamy and the added saltiness pairs well with both the salmon and vegetables. I am aware that many people do not like to combine dairy with seafood (especially my mum! LOL) so I have left it out of the photos – but trust me – so good!!!
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. I am available here via email or you can catch me daily on Instagram and Facebook. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can save and have easy access to my recipes. Can’t wait to hear from you. Enjoy and Kali Orexi!
Cooking time: 35 minutes
4 Salmon fillets approx. 200g each
2 small red onions, cut into quarters
2 small zucchini, cut into quarters lengthwise
1 large potato, sliced 0.5cm think discs
12 cherry or grape tomatoes
3-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dried Greek oregano
Sea salt and pepper
1 lemon, sliced into discs
Optional: 100g feta, crumbled
1. Preheat oven 200C fan forced. Line a tray with baking paper.
2. Place into the tray the onions, zucchini and potatoes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon Greek oregano. Place into preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove tray from oven. Place over the vegetables the salmon fillets and tomatoes. Season with sea salt, pepper, oregano and extra virgin olive oil and lemon slices. Optional and recommended to sprinkle the crumbled feta over the tray at this stage so that it softens whilst the salmon is baking. Bake for 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked to desired taste.
4. Remove from oven and serve. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves and squeeze lemon slice all over.