Caribbean Spice Chicken Wings, gluten-free
If you love wings, then you will love my Caribbean Spice Chicken Wings, which are cooked in the air fryer, super tasty, gluten-free, and healthy. These chicken wings are coated in the most delicious spice, cooked to perfection, and then topped off with my homemade Cheat's Aioli Dip, which will make everyone crave a second serving. Best of all, cooking in the air fryer creates the most crispy chicken skin, without the added calories of frying, so it's a win-win! Let's begin.
Air Fryer Cooking and Chicken Crispy Skin
The forced circulating hot air in the air fryer is what makes the chicken skin so crispy. This can be difficult to achieve in the oven and why more often you find crispy skin recipes involve baking or rubbing butter over the skin, making them unhealthy and higher in unhealthy fats.
What is even more impressive, is that cooking chicken wings in the air fryer cooks them 3 times faster than when cooked in the oven! It's another win-win!
Watch How to Make It
Pat Dry the Chicken Wings
This will remove excess moisture and help them crisp up.
Line the Wings Standing Upright
Lining the wings upright and leaning them on the sides of the basket is a great way to fit up to 1kg of wings in a medium-size air fryer.
Getting that Cripsy Skin
Place the gluten-free chicken wings in the air fryer, making sure they are not overlapping and not overcrowded (they can just be touching), and cook them at 190°C for 10 minutes, then increase the heat to 210°C and cook them a further 10 minutes.
For crispy skin all over, turn them over after the first 10 minutes.
For even crispier skin, do not place any baking paper in the basket as this collects the dripping fat and does not allow the side touching the baking paper to crisp up.
What to Serve with these Caribbean Spice Chicken Wings
These Caribbean Spice Chicken Wings make the perfect finger food but can be the main attraction in a main meal. Serve it alongside my:
Green salad, or vegetable sticks (as a finger food).
Grab the Recipe for my Cheat's Aioli Dressing here:
Caribbean Spice Chicken Wings
Prep 5 minutes
Cooking 20 minutes
1kg (approximately 18 pieces) of chicken wing nibbles
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
Caribbean Spice Seasoning:
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cayenne or chilli
1. Combine the ingredients for the Caribbean Spice in a bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat the air fryer to 180°C. When heated, optional to place a sheet of baking paper in the basket. This helps to capture the fat that drips off the wings.
3. Place the chicken nibbles into a wide bowl and pat dry, then drizzle the olive oil over the top, making sure the nibbles are evenly coated. Next, sprinkle the spice over the chicken pieces and toss to evenly coat.
4. Place the nibbles into the air fryer. Cook for 10 minutes at 190°C then increase the temperature to 210°C and cook for a further 10 minutes for the chicken to crisp.
5. Remove from the air fryer, and garnish with my Cheat’s Aioli Dressing, and a generous amount of finely chopped parsley leaves. Serve alongside a salad or my Stovetop Rice.
NOTE: This is in no way a traditional Caribbean Spice, however, the basic flavours are present. For those who can handle the heat, increase the cayenne pepper and add some allspice.
Have you tried this recipe?
Share it with me at @createcookshare on
Recipe and Photography Margaret Pahos for @CreateCookShare