Steak 'n' Chips Tray Bake, gluten-free
I'm taking this classic Steak 'n' Chips recipe, and turning it into an easy weeknight dinner that takes 30 minutes to cook and is done all in one tray. It's an easy and delicious meal with melt-in-your-mouth steak, alongside, crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside chips. Let's begin!
While this recipe may seem simple, I can assure you it is one of the tastiest dinners you will enjoy as each element is seasoned with vibrant flavours of garlic, mustard, and paprika and then cooked perfectly. And though cooking a good steak this way may seem controversial, it is also one of the easiest ways to cook it at home and still get it pretty perfect.
This recipe is also the perfect meal prep as it makes enough for 4 days as a single serve, stores well and heats perfectly in the microwave.
Watch How to Make It
How Do You Make Steak 'n' Chips as a Tray Bake?
It only takes three main steps to cook this delicious tray-bake recipe:
Prepare the Potatoes and Bake: Place the potatoes and broccoli onto the tray, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and season well. Place into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Marinate the Steaks: In the meantime, while the potatoes and broccoli are baking, season to marinate the steaks, leaving them at room temperature.
Grill the Steaks and Potatoes: Remove the tray from the oven and change the oven setting to grill. Place the steaks onto the tray and grill for 4 minutes, then, turn over the steaks and grill for a further 4 minutes. Optional to turn over the potatoes and broccoli as well.
Once cooked serve! Optional to serve alongside your favourite condiment, with feta, or simply as is! Enjoy!
Beef: I highly recommend using beef scotch fillets as they have the perfect balance of meat and fat for grilling, and they are a tender cut of meat. Another option is porterhouse steak, however, this may not turn out as tender as the scotch fillet. It is also important to note that, the steaks are at least 3cm thick ensures they will cook well. Grilling time may need to be reduced if the steaks are thinner.
Potatoes: In order for the potatoes to cook in 20 minutes, they will need to be sliced into 1.5cm - 2cm (15-20mm) wedges. Any type of potato can be used. I have tried this recipe with Desiree, Nicola (whitewashed), and even Brushed. All cook perfectly.
Broccoli: My favourite vegetable to add is broccoli, however, any extra vegetable can be added, including cauliflower, sweet potato, zucchini or parsnip. Making sure it is cut to a size that will cook in 20 minutes is important.
Other Tray Bake Recipes
And now it’s time to start cooking! As always, if you make any of my recipes, I would love to hear your feedback. Don’t forget to save it on your Pinterest board as well! I have a board named CreateCookShare that you can follow and save. Can’t wait to hear from you!
Happy Creating, Margaret
Steak and Chips Tray Bake
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
300g x 2 Scotch Fillet Beef Steaks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic granules or powder
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon paprika
Sea salt and pepper
Chips and Broccoli:
600g or 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1cm thick wedges
1 large broccoli head, cut into large florets
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
Sea salt and pepper
Suggestions to serve with:
Feta (dairy-free option)
Parsley leaves, roughly chopped
Tzatziki dip (dairy-free option)
OR your favourite condiment
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C fan forced / 210°C conventional oven / 415°F and line a large tray with baking paper.
2. Place the potatoes and broccoli in a single layer onto the tray and drizzle with the olive oil and season with oregano, sea salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and bake for 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, place the steaks into a bowl and drizzle with the oil. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, mustard, paprika, and garlic. Rub seasoning into the steaks and leave at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
4. Once potatoes and broccoli are cooked, remove them from the oven. Change oven setting to grill function. Allow the grill to heat for a few minutes.
5. Place steaks onto the side of the tray and pour any oil from the bowl over the steaks. Place under the grill for 4 minutes per side for a medium cook. Optional to turn over the potatoes and broccoli as well to brown on all sides.
6. When done, sprinkle potatoes with crumbled feta and fresh parsley leaves. Serve directly from the tray.
Have you tried this recipe?
Share it with me at @createcookshare on
Recipe and Photography Margaret Pahos for @CreateCookShare